Friday, June 19, 2009

More Darwin!

Hey everyone or anyone reading this! So let me back track to what I did this past Wednesday (6/17)...My two professors took my class to the Northern Territory Wildlife Park which was amazing!! This park only has native animals so everything we got to see was unique to Australia which I thought was pretty awesome. This park is quite different from a regular zoo in that all of its animals roam freely throughout the reserve & aren't locked up behind cages so I acutally got to get very close & even touch some of the animals...well only the ones I wanted to touch.

One of the animals I touched was an agile wallaby (it's like a mini kangaroo) & it's little baby it was carring in its pouch! I think it was the cutest thing I have ever seen & the baby even started to nibble on my finger! I was really surprised how calm the mother was when so many of us came up to touch her, but I have lots of pictures of it & will upload them asap...I also got to get close to some freshwater crocodiles that we laying right next to the railing of the deck I was standing on in the billabong ( I must have been only like 4 ft. from it!) I also ALMOST accidentally ran into the web of a golden orb spider which I wasn't exactly excited to see...for those of you who know me I am frightened of spiders..& these spiders were seriously the size of my whole hand..maybe even bigger! I got to see a bunch of other cool stuff as well...& I almost stepped on a snake that was crossing right in front of me so that was pretty interesting too..but luckily I don't think it was poisonous...at least that's what the park ranger told me! And lastly we saw an amazing bird of prey show which I have pictures of as well.

And finally yesterday (6/18) my class & I went to the Northern Territory Museum where we saw a bunch of aboriginal art, some cool fossilized Australian organisms, & Sweetheart...the 17 ft. saltwater crocodile (don't worry it was stuffed) that was caught in Australia in the 1970s, but the trappers accidentally killed it when they sedated him...yes Sweetheart was a he... (I don't get it either)

So today (6/19) I just had class & have to pack tonight for my 3-day camping trip in Kakadu...so wish me luck & I will be posting soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment